Re: Topic Tuesday // Lets get real! Transitions into parenthood // Tues 12 Nov 7pm AEDT

Hi all. I'm late getting here because was out for the afternoon (3 hrs difference for us here in the west)

Re: Topic Tuesday // Lets get real! Transitions into parenthood // Tues 12 Nov 7pm AEDT

hello @cutiepiekitty Heart

Hi @eth thanks so much for coming along and sharing. 

You all have something very valuable to offer tonight regardless of your children being adults now- your early experiences of parenting and the challenges are really important to get real about tonight and help others learn and feel less alone too 🧡

@Sarzie  actually I still have times when I don't feel good enough.  Some of my child's health problems have taken until recently to be properly diagnosed.  I tell myself I did the best I could at the time, but the reality is it wasn't good enough a lot of the time.  Also bipolar episodes meant all sorts of risky adventures which I took them with me.  Plus we had to deal with special ed. and all sorts of interventions in the early years so I felt I was under constant scrutiny which really added to the pressure.

Yes having confidence in my parenting and the belief I’m a good mum is something I still struggle with most days 

Hi @cutiepiekitty - no problem at all, great to have you join us!

Okay - baby number 1

I had been in a job where they understood I would have to leave without notice and when we got a telegram that they had a baby for us it was full on - a trip to the hospital the next day and wow - what an unhapppy baby - the sh*t really hit the fan - he really let us know his displeasure and really? I don't blame him - he certainly did not ask for all of this

Totally unexpected

Baby number 2 - difficult pregnancy, early birth - for a months she was in hospital and we did not know at the time but the smell of formula still makes her feel sick.

But she knew us - she fitted into the family and all her life she has been a joy

Very different experiences yes - and neither easy - but that's what happened and it's all a long time ago but the memories are really clear

Dec

@eth, , @Sarzie  I still have times when I don't feel good enough.

Hi @eth 

Thank you for sharing your story. I imagine that must have been an overwhelming start to life as a parent!

I am wandering what sort of support you had when you were experiencing Post Natal Depression and Anxiety and what helped you in your recovery?

Oh boy - that's really premature and the dad leaving too @eth 

That is really something - and add a mix-ed up dx and the wrong medication

What can I say - I hear you - that is one really early birth and one really premature baby

My hat's off to you

Dec