Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Parenting with mental health challenges // Tues 15th Jan, 7pm AEDT

Thanks @nashyCompassion is often something we are able to give easily to others, but not so much to ourselves. Imagine a friend in your position. What wisdom or kind words would you give them? Self-compassion is like any other skill, it can take time and practice to strengthen. Not only can complex emotions like guilt and shame make self-compassion a challenge, so can our expectations of ourselves. In times like these, it can be helpful to ask ourselves, am I expecting too much from myself right now? It is equally important to remind ourselves that we are human. It is okay to make mistakes, to not get it right all the time. Remind yourself of the roles you are juggling. While this isn’t always easy, you are trying to work your way through. You’re doing it right now by connecting to get support. Remind yourself that you are deserving of self-compassion, and that it’s ok to take things at our own pace on challenging days.

Re: Topic Tuesday // Parenting with mental health challenges // Tues 15th Jan, 7pm AEDT

I am really looking forward to hearing an answer to this question @nashy as I can really struggle with that one!

@CheerBear I am sorry to hear you struggle with it, so understandable. What are your thoughts on @BelleParentline's strategies? Heart

Hi @nashy@CheerBear@BelleParentline@Shaz51@Determined.

Im here better late than never, I usually find this the day after.

Id just like to contribute my favourite act of compassion is a nice hot bath with Epsom salts & a drop of lavender to calm (apparently) just to take time out for my self & switch off from family for a bit.

I think it sounds great and makes sense in some ways @nashy and @BelleParentline but I guess in a way it is really hard to do things like take it at your own pace sometimes. I think of the days when there's no way to do that and how I can feel so frustrated at myself and so stretched trying. It almost always leads to 'should be able to do this better' or 'I'm failing at this', if that makes sense.

Hi @Former-Member 🙂 

That sounds like such a lovely way to be compassionate towards yourself! An awesome way to take some time for you and to relax. The simplist ways to be kind to ourselves can often be the best!

Compassion is often something we are able to give easily to others, but not so much to ourselves.

very true @BelleParentline, @nashy, @Former-Member, @CheerBear

is a nice hot bath with Epsom salts, this is mine too @Former-Member xx

Hi @Former-Member 🙂 That sounds like a really great thing to do ❤

@Former-Member 😄 😄 😄 "Epsom salts & a drop of lavender to calm (apparently) just to take time out for my self & switch off from family for a bit."

Literally my life - such awesome self-care!

I must say I find I am more compassionate & understanding of my mental illness than those around me, partner, parents etc

To be compassionate for me also involves accepting my limits re:- fatigue etc. & not pushing myself as much.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance