Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

LilMapleLeaf
Peer Guide

Neurodiverse Meltdowns. What helps?

Hello lovely humans,

Hope you are well! I wanted to start a chat to create a little thread of resources for going through a meltdown. Throughout my time here as a peer guide I've seen a couple of different questions around meltdowns and not knowing what to do. 

So! If you have any ideas, strategies, resources or anything that helps you through a meltdown please share them below so we can create an amazing list of strategies we can all try to help through this.

I look forward to seeing what you all suggest!

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Neurodiverse Meltdowns. What helps?

I'll go first! 😄 Here is a list of strategies I like to use:

- Learn your triggers and create a list of strategies for them

- Use deep pressure such as weighted blankets or weighted plushies

- Use stimming to help calm down

- Noise cancelling headphones, sunglasses or loops for noise and light sensory issues

- Use smart bulbs in rooms so you can dim the lighting

- Create a sensory toolbox thats easily accessible. I like to keep a comfortable pair of PJs in there as well so I know I have something I can wear that I will feel okay with.

- Have an exit strategies for events

- Have a box of sensory toys to use such as stressballs, fidgets, bubbles, playdough, chew toys, lollies.

Make or buy some emotion/communication cards for when you go non-verbal.

Here's an example I found on etsy but Canva have some great free templates you can use. 

https://www.canva.com/flashcards/templates/emotions/ 

Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 1.59.12 pm.png

Use a mindful/breathing technique.

This website has some great pages of breathing techniques you can print out to provide a visual cue of what to do:

https://www.jpsny.org/cms/lib/NY50000104/Centricity/Domain/4804/MindfulnessBreathingPostersandPocket... 

Use the diving technique or Tip The Temperature to help reset yourself. This video does a great job of explaining it and how to do it but it essentially involves dipping your face in cold water to reset your nervous system and help you calm down. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVHtjDgc_XU 

Narrated by Dr. Shireen Rizvi Illustrated by Jesse Finkelstein Check out our DBT Card Game: The Game of Real Life https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thegameofreallife/the-game-of-real-life

I love the flash cards. I have emotion cards I use when I can't communicate.

I also use a traffic light system to show how distressed I am. My carers also use it to check on my safety.

I have a massive sensory box that helps me. It's full of all sorts of things.

I use noise cancelling headphones when going to the supermarket or other shopping as I find that way too sensory overloading.

I am learning my triggers and mu different parts and what they need when they emerge. I find addressing the core needs in times of distress helpful. Eg. Am I hungry, thirsty, lonely, overstimulated.

Stimming- I carry one of my sensory toys EVERYWHERE. my favourite is a little squishy and stretchy dachshund.

Great ideas there @LilMapleLeaf !

I could certainly utilise those strategies! I'm not neurodiverse (others would think otherwise), but it doesn't stop the emotional meltdowns!

Thanks!

G'day @LilMapleLeaf , 

Great idea for a post!

I think for me as an autistic person it was learning to figure out the signs that I needed space to regulate... I have a huge workload and part of that is working as a support worker - I am constantly on and sociable at work and this takes it out of me so having time on my own to recharge has been a gamechanger (otherwise I'm grumpy and short fused at times). Going for a walk while listening to music or a podcast, reading a book, doing some exercise or just watching dumb videos all help me to recharge. 

I go into a dark closet with no lights or noise and it’s bliss. It helps me calm down.

@tyme 

I'm so glad you are able to find some use in these! These strategies are absolutely not just for neurodiverse so please go ahead and give them all a go!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance