Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Sharona1
Contributor

Still looking for some help..years pass...

Hi All

I really need an advocate, perhaps a social worker, who can work with me to find a path through this maze. I post here every six months or so in desperation. I spend time clicking through the list of services leading nowhere. I have a very complex situation with my adult son and his health/mental health and I'm so stuck. I can't get him to get help. I'm broke, largely due to this situation. The situation is unliveable. I need help but I need a person to be willing to step in and work with me primarily and him. This just goes in cycles year after year. Is there in reality any service to help carers where a real human person helps us? Keeping in mind that he doesn't accept his issues are mental health. It's complex. Ant social workers or something I'm not aware of or not thinking of?

Any ideas welcome. But please don't suggest I need counselling to cope. Done it. I need real help to change our lives. 

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Still looking for some help..years pass...

Hey @Sharona1  I am sorry to hear of what you're up against, thank you so much for sharing your story, and please know that there is tangible support out there Heart It's no easy journey, so huge props to you, you're not alone amongst our community.

I know you mentioned you're not keen on counselling but would you consider giving our SANE help centre a call on 1800 18 7263? They may be able to link you in to some referrals.

Did you want to talk a little more to the community about what's happening with your son? We're here to listen.

Things are really going down hill. I waited to be able to talk to someone on a chat service because I can't talk to anyone on the phone because he's always here. He can hear what I say so it's not possible. My own mental health is at breaking point. But those online chat services are never available despite saying they are. He lives here now. It's bad to the point of dangerous. But no one listens or helps. I tried mental health and the police. They say he's fine. Just sad. Incredible. I dont know about him anymore but Im not ok.  

Hi @Sharona1 

I'm concerned that you say things are dangerous for you at home. We can hear your disbelief and frustration that previous attempts to get some pratical support for yourself and for your son have not had the results that you've hoped for. Along with Nashy I want to encourage you to keep trying until you find something that works for you. Talking openly about what's going on can be really hard if you are concerned about being overheard so, even with a bit of a wait, an online service might work better for you. Maybe having a few alternative services would be useful?  There's a good list of helplines here and many of them will have an online chat.

Many carers find that their own wellbeing really suffers when they're looking after others so you are not alone and it's important that you care for yourself in this. I'm not sure what services you've connected with in the past but you may also be interested in seeing what's on offer from Mental Health Carers Australia. 
Additionally,  1800 RESPECT has a chat service available here

I hope there's something useful there Sharona1. Take care

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance