Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Re: Why Mental Illness is not a correct terminology

Hi,

Supercoolguy, unfortunately there is in experience a very dark side to the "mental illness" theory of emotional distress.

But I can't say too much, I've tried, it gets silenced. 

This is the eighth time I've tried to talk about my experiences,  those reported to me by many others and those I have witnessed first hand.

Even things raised by the UN human rights Commission have been silenced.

I find it vital to speak out and exchange points of view and experiences in aahealing journey but unfortunately it's difficult, in my experience these things get silenced especially on this site.

I wish I could talk to you more freely but this unfortunately isn't possible here.

There are other sites where people can talk more freely.

I'm in the process of trying to find out if there is any way to make this site less silencing. But undunfortunately at this stage our conversation is not allowed to be honest or open.

Wishing you the best.

Hi @Fredd50, sorry to hear that you are feeling silenced and unheard. We are keen to work with you so that you can share your views and experiences in a way that is aligned with our community guidelines. We are always open to working with members to help them use the forums in a way that benefits members and the rest of the community. Please email us with any feedback at team@saneforums.org    

For those who did not know.

There is currently a royal commission into abuse of persons with disabilities.

All abuse in care, whether it was committed under a mental health act or not, is permitted under the terms of reference. Any violence, any harm, any forced medication, anything that a person found harmful they can report.

I have had this post deleted a number of times. I have attempted to feed back a number of times.

The hotline is open but not yet connected to a network, however persons can call the hotline still to get updates on when it will be available for reporting abuse and harm. 

The National Disability Abuse and Neglect Hotline

The National Disability Abuse and Neglect Hotline (The Hotline), is a free, independent and confidential service for reporting abuse and neglect of people with disability.

Anyone can contact the Hotline, including family members, friends, service providers or a person with disability.

The Hotline works with callers to find appropriate ways of dealing with reports of abuse and neglect of people with disability.

To make a report, contact the Hotline on 1800 880 052 or send an email to: hotline@workfocus.com.

The Hotline is not a crisis service. In case of life threatening situations call 000 for attendance by Ambulance, Fire or Police services. If you think a crime has been committed or is being committed, contact your local police.

If SANE Australia deletes this post I will be reporting them to the royal commission.

Dear Fredd50, the very dark side of the mind, anyone's mind, can be as you describe.  You do not need to have a mental disorder to experience this very dark side because the mind is very complicated. What I am saying is that just because there are many people in the world that are considered normal, meaning that they have not been diagnosed with a mental disorder, does not mean that they don't do very dark things or that they don't contemplate on very dark things or that they are not affected by moods or problems. What we losely call Mental Illness, which is a wrong way of describing disorders or problems,l can happen to anyone at any time. I have known people to develop psychosis ion one day after witnessing a fatal car accident or experiencing a severe trauma. It can happen to anyone at any time. You see the difficulties in thinking about mental disorders?  I think the mind is capable of good and bad and this has always been so.

To make my point here, that "Illness" should not be used when discussing mental problems, or disorders, is the fact that the World Health Organization kdoes not use the word Illness but, in its place, they use problems or disorders. The same for the Kidman Centre that helps young people with mental problems. They do not use the word "Illness". In fact, mental health professionals that stay away from the word illness are the best and so are organizations that stay away from the word "Illness" when speaking of mental problems. 

Hello @theaveragejoe 

Just thought I would add an article on similar themes.  Hope you dont mind.

@Fredd50 

Think we may have spoken way back.  Sorry you have had such a challenging time communicating on here.  Hope you have found better outlets, found more validation and good feedback.

I found this article very clear about many of the issues.

https://www.madinamerica.com/2020/05/dsm-led-astray/?mc_cid=1cab0b2691&mc_eid=0f36b5018a 

Personally I am moving more and more towards story and other forms of narrative therapy.

Hello @Appleblossom, Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas with the community around the issues that have been discussed in this post. It has been very important in my own recovery to feel empowered and supported in making choices for my own mental health journey. You mentioned moving towards using story and narritive therapy as a modality for healing. I am pleased to hear that you have found something that resonates 🙂

@theaveragejoe thank you for sharing your ideas and very interesting perspective. I too have found great benefit from not identifying with my mental health diagnosis. I have found great freedom on this journey and it has helped me feel like I belong and connect with other people as I realised that everyone has their own struggles. 

That would be so AWESOME!!!

The concept excites me. No longer would we be labelled and misrepresented. We'd all be just regular people.

IMAGINE

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance