Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Challis
New Contributor

Carer burnout

Hi, I'm Challis and a carer for my husband who suffers from multiple health issues - physical and mental.

I'd like to connect with others who are in similar situation and share strategies for self care and our own

mental wellbeing. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Carer burnout

Hey @Challis ,

Welcome to the forums! It's great you have found us.

As carers, people really need to remember their own mental health and wellbeing. I'm glad you have been able to realise this and reach out.

Feel free to connect to Wednesdays’ Well of Wellness – Wellness Tips 

What are things you find helpful to keep you going?

How are you going @Challis ?

Just wondering how things are going for you.

Trying to stay strong. Some days are better than others.

Hi I'm also a support person to my husband who lives with OCD. It can be stressful to be around and we can argue because he wants to involve me in his rituals. Limited family support.

When I tell him how exhausting it is, he gets defensive and wants all the acknowledgement for what he has to live with

hello @Challis , @LilMapleLeaf , @Wifecarer1 , @tyme 

here is a good thread to read Topic Tuesday// Caring For The Carer// Tues 29th November 2022 7-8:30PM AEDT 

and another one to click onto is Topic Tuesday // Self Care for Carers // Tues 20th July, 7:00-8:30PM AEST 

My husband has many mental health problems , so please ask any questions you may have 

Yes this sounds familiar to me. I am a burnt out carer for my husband who has mental health issues. i am trying to get some routines and also time for myself but finding it difficult. Also not knowing what mood my husband is in is difficult. He is also in denial that he has mental health issues even though he is taking the meds for them ~ anti deressants and anti psychotics. . At least he is taking them. Sometimes he forgets or goes to bed without taking them and without telling me he is going to bed. He wakes at 3am and wanders around the house and goes out the front door, banging it, about 15 times a day. So many things I need help with, his moods, his spending, he food refusal and his constant mess making. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance