Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Moonlily
New Contributor

Looking where to go from here

• Hi new to this site, only stumbled on here tonight. I'm not sure where to go from here and if this is the right place to post this. My sister is in her late 30s has PTSD from a previous DV relationship and has been diagnosed with BPD in the last year. She is having a very bad year so far and had tried to take her life again, mixing medication with alcohol. I'm at my wall now as we also live with my mother who is terminally ill and also suffers from Depression. I feel like I don't know what to do as when she is not spaced out from taking too many ativan she is picking fights with me. I am her FP she's told me and then comes to wake me up to tell me she's taken a hand full of her medications and drank a glass a gin and now feels sleepy from trying to off herself, but needs help to shower as it didn't work like the internet said. She will only speak with out GP about her issues as the local mental health services cost too much to use privately. She also won't go to the hospital as she did for one of her attempts a few years ago and told them what they needed to hear so she could get out. It's just getting too much for me to keep my head above water before I break from this. Any guidance would be great. 
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Looking where to go from here

Wow, that sounds so overwhelming, your head must be swimming...

I can offer some advice based on my experience - living with a partner with BPD - which is getting her to properly manage her meds and try to limit alcohol consumption. (Easier said than done!)

It's a process - getting into a proper routine sounds easy but as you know can be very hard, and can sometimes seem like taking one step forward and two back.

But it is possible, perhaps you could offer to help manage her meds, letting GP or pharmacy know could help with it.

Keep making small steps and you can get there!

Most importantly keep yourself well, do whatever you need to stay sane. Reaching out like this is great.

Remember you can't help anyone unless you're ok.

I think you're awesome doing all that for your loved ones ❣️ good on you.

Kind regards 

Paul22

You are amazing doing what t you’re doing but have you got supports for yourself?
Have you connected with this resource?
They might be able to give you support so that you don’t burn out from compassion fatigue.
Take care of yourself.
https://www.carergateway.gov.au/?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAw6yuBhDrARIsACf94RW-PyfY8ea4McsPe9kZZPJA...

I get living with ptsd I to was in a DV relationship my x wife was the perpetrator. I have not used medication but did go down the line of intoxication to numb the pain, I eventually moved through relationship Australia an organisation that supports people comming from DV relationship ships the GP can be supported through Medicare you go on mental health plan 10 free visits to a psychologist more can be referred from them..
I hope youare taking care of yourself in the process
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance