Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Evangeline
Contributor

Does this actually work?

Hi everyone,

So, I was diagnosed with BPD about a month ago and saying it's been really hard is an understatement... I guess I just wanted to know whether talking to people on a forum actually helps. I've never used a forum before and I've never talked about the disturbing plethora of thoughts in my brain to strangers... Do any of you find talking on here an appropriate way to express how you're feeling? 

Thanks xx

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Does this actually work?

@Evangeline Welcome I have been struggling with depression for about a year I dont have anyone that I can talk to in my life so I have found it really helps to talk on hear. That is just my experiance hope that helps

Hi Evangeline,

I have BPD too and also have been wanting to use forums or some other outlet as a way of expressing myself. 

Maybe we could encourage eachother and others out there who are struggling too?

"The Mighty" is another good resource for reading / posting specifically about different conditions by those who have experienced them. 

Good morning @Evangeline and @Scribbles. I haven't 'met' either of you, so hi and welcome. Waving to @Ant7 too 🙂

I also love reading through The Mighty too @Scribbles 🙂

@Evangeline, you asked whether the forum works and is helpful. For me, the answer is an absolute yes.

I find that through being here, I feel less scared of where my head is and less 'crazy'. The anonymity allows me to express myself in ways that I can't often do beyond here. Because of that, I feel more 'me' here than in most other places. I have picked up skills and techniques for managing my mental health challenges, and gained inspiration and hope through reading and sharing along the way. I gain a sense of connection and belonging here. I also often find reasons to smile and laugh when I am here too.

Regarding your question about whether people find this an appropriate way to express how they're feeling, again for me the answer is yes for all of the reasons above. I spend a bit of time here posting about day to day stuff, as well as big stuff that happens/has happened. Sometimes I read over some of my posts and although it can be really confronting and difficult to do at times, I can see how my story is developing. I am learning more about myself and seeing things in different ways by doing this. This part of the forum to me is almost like having a journal, but one that I can share a cuppa, a cry and a laugh with, that shares back with me, keeps me company when I feel alone, encourages me get up when I fall over and celebrates the wins and successes when they happen.

There are lots of different ways to use the forum, and I imagine there are so many different things on offer here for different people. Perhaps it would help to know what it is you're looking for by being here? I don't think I would have known the answer to this when I joined, but I came here feeling lost, hopeless, scared and disconnected from others. The forum hasn't been a magic fix for those things, but it has definitely eased the intensity of them. I am so glad I joined.

I hope you both find your time here helpful too 🙂

@CheerBear hi I'm glad someone put it into words better than I ever could thank you 😊 ❤️

Hi @Evangeline and @Scribbles (and @Ant7 and @CheerBear),

Welcome to Forum Land. Smiley Happy I have BPD and right now Forum Land is my primary source of support. I am extremely socially isolated and only have my GP and psychologist in the real world. I find a genuine sense of connection and belonging on the forums. I also feel super "heard" when I vent out big stuff that is happening in my world. Like @CheerBear said, this is sort-of like journalling, but with the added benefit of knowing that people are hearing me and walking alongside me.

Different people definitely get different things out of the forums. For example, some people spend a lot of time hanging out on the social chatting-type threads (which are under the heading of "enjoying time with others") Personally, I don't do small talk in the real world and thus I don't really spend a lot of time on those threads here in Forum Land.

On the other hand, lately I have been enjoying motivating myself and others to have a go at yoga because we know it has a lot of benefits for mental health. Thus I spend time on the thread "the great yoga adventure."

So you see, there really is something for everyone around here. As to the question of whether it "works," I guess that depends on what "working" looks like for you. Will being here cure BPD? Almost certainly not. Can it be one tool in your toolkit for dealing with BPD? Definitely.

I hope to see you both around in Forum Land @Evangeline and @Scribbles. Smiley Happy

Hello everyone,

Wow...thank you all for replying. I wasn't sure that anyone would.

@CheerBear, I suppose what I am looking for is some extra support. Like @Phoenix_Rising, I only have my psychologist who I can speak honestly about my mental condition with, and I only get to speak to her once a week. The rest of the time I am on my own. My psychologist suggested that I write an anonymous blog, however, I might feel a bit more comfortable here.

Thank you all for being so welcoming and supportive 

Heart

This is a great place to find some extra support I think @Evangeline. There are lots of understanding ears (eyes) around.

Looking forward to hearing more if/when you share 🙂
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance