Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Craft Corner

I am SO excited about this @Phoenix_Rising! You did it - yay!!! Great work 😁 And you're playing in craft corner - my day has been made! This is great!

Did you have to practice any observe and describe so you didn't scrunch it into a ball? I most definitely did when I first started, except I was less able to manage frustration than I can now (given my current "decreased frustration tolerance", that says a bit) so I probably did scrunch it into a ball 😆

I have the next tutorial that I think could be ok whenever you're ready. If anyone else wants to play crochet or any craft, feel free to jump in too!

Also I'm holding the most ridiculously cute baby dragon head in my hand the moment if/when you'd like to see 😁

Yay again! 

@CheerBear your excitement super made me smile. I have a picture in my brain of you doing a kermit run around your loungeroom. Smiley Very Happy

Your question about whether I had to practice observe and describe also made me smile and caused me to reflect on how different our ways of being in the world are. My experience of this first baby step into the world of crocheting sounds very different to yours. I watched the video a couple of times, and then had a go. Then I giggled at how amazingly uncoordinated I am, slowed the video down to 50% speed, and giggled again, this time at how the person was now speaking very sloooooowly. Then I tried again...and again...and again...and again. And now I have a super long chain!!!!

I was reflecting on how completely ok I am with learning something very slowly and methodically and how I really don't get impatient or frustrated that I can't learn faster. Of course, the flip side to this super slow and methodical way of being in the world is that I have a near-zero stress tolerance. Sadly for me, my optimum speed of functioning seems to be at about a quarter of the pace that contemporary western society generally moves at. Left to do things in my own way at my own pace, I'm a happy little turtle. Smiley Happy

It did also occur to me that if you got frustrated trying to get the hang of this crocheting adventure, it's probably best that you never take up learning to play the violin. Smiley LOL

I am ready for the next step. I'm kind-of hoping the next step might be about how to get the consistent tension thing happening. My amazingly long chain has stitches that are of notably varying sizes. Smiley Very Happy

I'm not quite sure what to make of the fact that you are holding a baby dragon's head in your hand. CheerBear my not-friend, the baby dragon slaying carebear. Smiley Very Happy I can't wait to see a photo though! 

Hi @Phoenix_Rising ☺ Definite Kermit happening in the lounge room last night!

It's totally normal to feel/be uncoordinated when you pick up a hook and yarn to start with! I'm seriously uncoordinated with lots of things and it took a while to "be one" with my hook ☺

I found this video here about tension that at 5 mins talks about tension in the foundation row (which is the long line of chains like you made). It has some tips that may be helpful but I think mostly it's practice. If I do a long chain for a blanket for example, they're often a bit wonky and not totally perfect. In amigurumi (the little toys) you don't tend to find long chains and it's much more likely you'll have a couple or a few chain stitches (often ch in a pattern) here and there ☺

I think the next step would be single crochet. (Nearly) every stitch you make is based on a single crochet. It's the most important one as it's the base of all of them (from my experience). It's the mother stitch 😁

A good way to practice single crochet (often written as sc in a pattern) is to make a foundation chain, then build on it with single crochet stitches all the way along, then learn to turn and go back along the row. And then turn and go back along the row. And turn and go back along the row...  If you're like me, you may need to do this about a bazillion times before you figure out what's going on 😆 I have a sneaking suspicion you may pick this up a little easier though. I found this video here which I thought might be a good one next but there are heaps out there if you want to find a better one for you.

Here's my dragon head (holding it reminded me of the time my cat did a runner with a mermaid psychiatrist parts). I have a leg, belly and some scales as of this morning too. So looking forward to stitching her together!

83113.png

Hope you have fun. Oh and no, there won't be violining for me I think. Way too expense for a me with a frustration problem haha 😆 
Former-Member
Not applicable

I enjoy lots of craft like painting but im not good at it one thing i really enjoy doing are hair wraps in my hair they can stay in for a long as i like and i normally add little beads and charms to the end of them. It can take awhile depending on how long ones hair is. You can also make clip in ones but i am yet to make any clip ins.

Former-Member
Not applicable

@CheerBear  Craft of many types interest me. I crochet heaps, it keeps my attention and I enjoy designing things to sometimes. I also sew, making most of my clothes, and things for the house too when I get the urge or see a need for something I can make instead of buy. My parents were depression era and we recycled and upcycled before it became sophisticated. If I wanted a new dress, I learned to make it for myself, saving up for the fabric or reclaiming something from an op shop. 

And cooking, I enjoy cooking, baking, pickles, jams and desserts. Eating them is lots of fun too! Woman Happy Tatting is another of the yarn crafts I do a fair bit of at times.

Crafting helps reduce stress for me, I have a project bag in my handbag at all times, I actually carry 2 now, 1 tatting and 1 crochet project for different moods and stuff. Reading sometimes doesn't distract well enough, and the crafting does. 

While I'd love to be able to draw, I just don't have the skill for it, and the arthritis means I don't have the coordination for it now either.  

Both sewing and crochet are my go to crafts at the moment for relaxing and for feeling like I've done something with my day. Making a hanging spice sachet holder (I use lots of spices) for the pantry door in my new house has been one of the latest biggish things I've done. 

Everyone has such beautiful things they've made. Heart

Hair wraps sound fun @Former-Member! If you can post a photo or link of the kinds of things you make, I'd love to see 🙂

Hi @Former-Member - it's nice to "meet" you and to meet another crocheter! Like you, craft and particularly crochet is a big relaxation and distraction for me. I have a steady stream of projects on the go too 🙂 It's really cool to hear you design things. I haven't heard of tatting - will have to look it up.

im starting a new form of journalling 

Former-Member
Not applicable

What a great idea @Bubbles3 and what lovely neat hand writing (printing) you have. I start out neat and readable and end up with illegible even to me chickenscratching these days. 

Lovely Heart

thanks @Former-Member
i just do how i feel that day. one a day

i dont we have met before. how are you

What a great idea @Bubbles3 and what lovely neat hand writing you have. , how do you keep it so neat my friend xx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance