Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: How to accept help after a life of helping others

Hey Bug Buddy @Zoe7

When life gives you lemons, don't try and play the bagpipes! 🙂

(As my Nan used to say)

Heart

Hi there, new friend. 😀👋💜 @Hope4me

That's amazing, Hope4me.
I can understand that you feel anxious about working again. I'd feel the same.

I guess you could give it a try and see how you cope. It might be perfect for you.
Maybe you could start with half days at first.

Definitely worth a go. 😀💪👍
But only you know what you can cope with.

Absolutely! @Former-Member 

I'm so very capable, but my Mental Health disorder plays a huge role in it working in my favour (or not) as well for my new boss. (Friend)

After I was retired, I didn't know what to do with myself, but then I was a psychological mess! I wasn't up to looking after myself let alone anyone else.

But I've worked really hard to come to a place where I have coping strategies and insight to maybe turn this opportunity into a future positive experience. Sometimes it's moment by moment, and then it's day by day, then trusting returns. That's the plan...

Heart

oh @Hope4me you made me laugh again - I still have lemons on my tree and now all I am going to see is little mini bagpipes instead of lemons - if I start hearing bagpipes playing in my head then I will really know I am losing my mind - thanks to my funny big buddy Smiley LOL

I hope it's a good thing for you @Hope4me

A step at a time and a day at a time.
Rest and look after yourself first, that's for sure. I was always a "people pleaser", it took me years to learn to think about myself.
Now I'm a bit isolated and am working on getting well, so I can start afresh. 💕

Oh my gosh! Bagpipes. Nooooooooo 😂
@Zoe7 @Hope4me

@Zoe7I'm glad I tickled your wings with my antics. "Back atcha!" You make me smile gurrrl...

My Nan used to take a bag of lemons to parades with bagpipe bands and suck them in front of band members. Their saliva glands must've taken a beating for sure which made blowing into them impossible. She used to laugh sheepishly thinking she'd made my day. I wasn't disappointed 🙂

Even thinking about lemons makes my mouth moisten. 

@Former-Member 

I'm grateful for your attention and love that you're reading/liking my posts. I hope one day I can return the favour. Heart

I know @Former-Member - not going to get them out of my head today - @Hope4me has been here (on the forum)  for all of '5 minutes' and already has managed to 'do my head in' LOL - that is actually pretty cool my bug buddy - so glad you are here - both of you Heart

haha @Hope4me typing as you posted lol

You Nan sounds like she was hilarious - love the cheekiness Smiley LOL 

@Hope4me whether you can or cannot one day 'return the favour' here isn't an issue - what is important is that you feel safe, supported and you belong - all of which I think inevitably leads to us being able to 'return the favour' naturally anyway. (Is that too serious from me bug buddy? Smiley Surprised)

Oh bug buddy...but what a beautiful head!! @Zoe7 

5 minutes is enough to make people laugh. It is afterall the best medicine. I've got to log out in a minute. It's been so very nice chatting with your both. @Former-Member 

I'll be smiling for the rest of the day; maybe with a little spit gathering in my mouth and at the edges. He he...lol But all worth it 🙂

Catch you on my return...

Hope x Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance