Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Questions on reporting sexual assault

Hi @The-red-centaur

So sorry for the pain you have gone through. Have you discussed this with any treating medical professional?They may be able to guide you here and if you decide to report it and take it further perhaps seeking legal counsel would also assist. 

i have gone and reported mine its just i struggle at trying to stop thinking about it and just wanted to know how others stopped thinking about it 

@gymgirl240 - I hope maybe moderator's might have some information for you to help with your recalling the sexual assault and how to cope. Maybe @Lunar? Or another Moderator?

Getting in touch with a sexual assault service in your area may help lots and would have lots of support and information about how best to find your way through the fear, constant thoughts about it etc. 

Hi @gymgirl240
I don't know your story and I'm not in the right place to ask what it is right now, but I just want you to know that it's normal to not stop thinking about it even after it's reported and with time, and therapy and working through it not only will you think about it a lot less, but when you do it won't be as upsetting anymore.
For me in the beginning I would have to use distracting techniques - I didn't know what these were at the time, but playing computer games and reading got me through a lot of tough times.
Later and as an adult now I can 'reframe' what I'm thinking and it sounds strange, but going on here and talking to other people about it, helps me stop ruminating about it so much.
And finally talking to friends and family about it has been a blessing and helped a lot.
I hope things get easier soon and you get some mental respite too.

@MoonGalthanks 

@Former-Memberthank you for your help and hope one day i can be fine again 

@gymgirl240 have you ever contacted 1800RESPECT they are the national sexual assault and family violence helpline.

I use distraction and groundimg techniques to cope with flashbacks and other things that come up.
Exercise also helps me day to day.

Do you have a therapist you trust? I know for me having professional support to talk stuff through really helps.

@The-red-centaurthank you and yes i have given them a call and i do have a therapist that i trust and can talk to about my nightmares and my flashbacks and i goto the gym often but it has gotten to that point that i dont leave the house unless i have a family member with me as my attacker knows where i live 

@gymgirl240 my perpetrator came to my house at Christmas, I know how that feels. I'm sorry you have to go through this too, it sucks.

@The-red-centaurit does suck and at my age it is effecting my life and do you have sleepless nights 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance